Evaluations are separated into three classes: Beginner, Advanced, and Salon.
· Beginner – A member who has little to no experience with cameras, photography, or image editing software. Photographers in this class are encouraged to make use of the mentoring program hosted by senior members of the club.
- Requirement to move up to next level: Beginners are invited to move up to the Advanced class once they have completed a year at the Beginner level with a year-end average of at least 7.0, based on a minimum of 16 images.
· Advanced – A member who has been photographing for a while, has a working knowledge of the basic features on their cameras, and are familiar with digital workflow and image editing software. Any new member may opt to join this class when joining the club.
- Requirement to move up to next level: Advanced members are invited to move up to the Salon class once they have completed a year at the Advanced level with a year-end average of at least 7.5, based on a minimum of 18 images.
· Salon – A member who is experienced and skilled in all aspects of photography. New members must first earn entry to the Salon class by completing a year at the Advanced level with an average of at least 7.5 based on a minimum of 18 images.
Ability to Decline Invitation to Advance: If a Beginner or Advanced member does not feel comfortable moving up to the next level, they have the option to decline the invitation to advance two years in a row. If after that time they still do not wish to advance, they can remain at their current class; however, it is with the understanding that they cannot participate in the annual year-end awards: Images of the Year, Photographer of the Year, or Excellence Awards.